Well I agree big name, but this dish falls in the category of those food items which you might feel difficult to spell but would loved to be served as dinner or lunch. From the name, it is quite clear that the dish centres around chicken but what differentiates this dish from the rest of the chicken preparations is the way of cooking and of course the presentation. This multiple layered food is one of those which would not only satisfy the stomach but at the same time would give the cook a sense of relief after it’s done. So let’s see how to make ‘Chicken Enchiladas Casserole’ in a more organized way:
- 1 lb of Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 12 to 14 Small Corn or Flour Tortillas
- 1 4oz can of Mild Green Chilies
- 2-1/2 cups of Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 2 14oz can of Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 tsp of Chili Powder
- 1 tsp of Cumin
- 1/4 tsp of Dried Oregano
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking pan with a little vegetable oil. Take shredded chicken.
- In a large skillet, cook the onions in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat or until golden brown.
- Add the canned chillies, shredded chicken, salt and pepper and cook everything together for about 2 minutes,
Add the chilli powder, cumin, and oregano and stir them. remove the filling to a bowl to cool.
Take each tortilla and quickly warm it up either in a skillet or right over a gas burner, set them aside.
- In the same skillet, add both cans of sauce and allow it to come to a boil.
- Mix together the water and cornstarch and add it to the sauce. Cook for a couple of minutes, remove from the heat and allow the sauce to cool a bit.
Add half of the sauce in the bottom of your pan and set aside.
- Take each toasted tortilla, smear a spoonful of sauce on each one.
- Top with some of the chicken mixture.
followed by a little cheese as well, wrap like a cigar and place it seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Continue the same step until all of your tortillas are rolled.
- pour remaining sauce over the top.
- sprinkle remaining cheese.
- Bake them for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
And out chicken enchiladas casserole is ready.
In the end, we just hope to be pretty much sure that the next time the idea of cooking a chicken dish cross your mind, Chicken Enchiladas Casserole will surely be one of the options to be served for your family and friends. With this, we end our food talks here. Until next time let your chicken dishes be served in a not so regular way with Enchiladas Casserole.